Sunday, September 14, 2008

homeland, again

On the topic of home again. I ran across a fun article today, from Inside-Outside magazine, a little rag I read all the time in Durango, but which I have not found out here in the back of beyond. The article is about Hanksville, UT, one of the little Wayne County towns. Hanksville is home to--well, read the article and you'll find out. It mentions Mesa Farm Market, a little organic farm with lots of heart in neighboring Caineville. Mesa Market is run by a playful man, who is also a musician, named Randy Ramsley. Several friends work on the farm, including Beth and Tim. They had a hard spring, and there's a Harvest Benefit being held for the farm next Saturday, which I am excited to attend.

There is so much to be said for community--especially when said community is in such a small, isolated, wild area! Pulling together in times of need is so damn important. I am feeling a part of this place again, and I love it. It's odd, actually. I've been a bit of a hermit all summer long, not fully participating in community. Feeling so busy between day job, writing, and personal goals that demanded a lot of solitude and contemplation.

But this is still home. I am home, in my community, no matter how I have been (or not) interacting.

What is home for you? What makes it home? Is it place, is it people, is it ritual and ceremony? Is it familiarity?

Part of home is, for me, a certain knowing that simply makes it so. This is home. And I just know that.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Robin Road said...

What great timing for a question such as "what is home?"

We just got back from a short road trip to Lone Pine, Ca. where Mt. Whitney lies. We spent three days hiking and exploring the area. On the third day there, we attempted to summit Mt. Whitney. As you probably know, Mt. Whitney is the highest peak (14 thousand plus ft.) in the lower 48 and would have been quite an achievement had we been able to complete the hike.

Richard made it to the top, but Michelle and I did not. Altitude sickness and cramping got the better of us. We made it to within a mile of the summit and decided to head back down.

What you may ask has this got to do with "feeling at home?"

Fair enough question....Let me attempt to clarify.

Even though I did not reach the summit, I was not disappointed.

There were complete strangers on the trail who gave one another encouragement when they were tired and medication when they were hurt. Good stories and experience were shared and tips were given freely. No competition. No desire to "outdo" the other. No sabotage and backstabbing. Just people trying to do their best and at the same time, bringing out the best in others.

That is home for me. Home is the feeling of contentment and acceptance. Its people helping people without any expectation of getting something in return.

And so far, it hasn't mattered where I am when I get that feeling. I just know it when I feel it and am grateful for those who were there at the time to share in it!

Happy Trails!

P.S. So, if you actually made it to the bottom of this post (I'm impressed if you did!) and if you'd like to see some photographs of our trip, shoot me your e-mail addy and I'll send you the link.

Julie Trevelyan said...

I love your idea of home, as well! I agree very much. Home is not just a physical or geographical concept. It involves many different ideas and attitudes.

Would love to see pics, will email your my address.