Wednesday, June 13, 2007

the wilds of Utah & the wilds of gas prices







Ah...been a little while since I've written. Oh, well. Life does that, sometimes. Since my last post, I've been in the wilderness for a total of 16 days on two separate occasions, visited Santa Fe, NM, and put lots of pricey miles on my truck. ($3.50/gallon, anyone? By the way, I saw gas for $3.05/gallon in Bernalillo, NM. Quite a bargain by today's standards.)






I've been working a little bit for an amazing wilderness therapy program for at-risk teens called the Aspen Achievement Academy in Loa, Utah. I worked there for a long time and recently returned, much to my delight. It's gorgeous country, as you can see. This photo (bottom) is from the summer course area.




The entire area is beautiful. Located in southern Utah, Capitol Reef National Park is also a favorite stomping ground of mine. I went on a great hike called Sulphur Creek with my friend Karen a few weeks ago. Warm and sunny, it was the best possible day for that particular hike, which involves lots of scrambling over rocks and through the water. That's me wandering happily through the canyon.


After a few sunny days, I woke up on Wednesday morning in the field with snow falling rapidly on our heads! (See top photo--yes, that's June 6.) We were camped at about 9500 feet in area where it can snow in August.... I was pretty glad to be leaving the field that day. I don't think the kids we at all amused.
Then I went to Santa Fe with my friend Ellen for a whirlwind of camping and drumming with interesting folks, lazing around by a sunlit mountainside stream, a wonderful shiatsu massage also by said stream (knowing someone in massage school is a beautiful thing, I tell you), relaxing at the 10,000 Waves spa (only $13 for hours of hot tubbing and sauna-ing! Thanks again, Kevin!), and eating extraordinarily good food also for cheap that night in town. And, of course, the Trader Joe's trip--ah, one of my favorite stores ever.
So I'm back in Durango right now, wondering why I'm here, and looking for ways to escape quickly. It's been an interesting ride here in this little town, which I shall perhaps someday expound upon more (but probably not in my blog; more likely in my tell-all book that shall use pseudonyms to protect the innocent and expose the guilty. Ha! Never piss off a writer.).
It's a glorious day here today--sunny, warm, begging me to get outside. I should have done my laundry yesterday when it was rainy and cold and the Internet and my laptop were just not getting along. Alas and alack, my clothes need a-washing. But perhaps after I go on a long walk by the river....
Just finished reading Surfing the Himalayas: A Spiritual Adventure by Frederick Lenz, an intriguing little book. Some out there might enjoy it. Tried to wrap my head around The Soul's Code by James Hillman last night, but not quite what I'm looking for right now.
Ah, it's clearly time to get outside. As should the rest of you!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: