Tuesday, May 08, 2007

wild, wild thoughts...

I just discovered a book called Landscape of Desire: Identity and Nature in Utah's Canyon Country, by Greg Gordon, published in 2003 by Utah State University Press. Just barely started to read it, and already it resonates so strongly with me--he is one of my tribe, I can tell already. I am so excited to read it. (Have to admit I already saw some typos with punctuation that annoy me, but then, I am an editor, and I notice such things.) This is similar to the sort of writing I like to do. The passionate call of language, of wilderness, of the flow of thoughts and feeling and ideas, all are zipping along my veins at this very moment. Gotta go write!

Another note: Just finished reading House of Rain: Tracking A Vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest by Craig Childs (Little, Brown, 2007). Amazing, amazing work he did. Lots of wandering around, looking into those people. Really cool theories, and lots of stuff I now want to go out and explore myself. I did a complete review of the book on amazon.com, which can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/House-Rain-Tracking-Civilization-Southwest/dp/0316608173/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2808845-2101666?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178642835&sr=8-1 (see Desert_Gal review; that's me!).

And, although my links to books on my blog are through http://www.powells.com/, which is an amazing bookstore in Portland that I once had the fortune to visit and browse for hours (driving in their parking garage, by the way, was a terrifying experience; don't recommend that part of it), I admit amazon.com has a corner on the market, and I do write reviews there. However. I should put my money where my mouth is, eh? Hmm, more food for thought....
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: